My regular blog readers will recall that I have blogged about traditional "Outbound Marketing" and the newer non-traditional "Inbound Marketing" before. As a refresher, Wikipedia defines Inbound Marketing and its opposite "traditional" Outbound Marketing as:
- "Inbound marketing is a marketing strategy that focuses on getting found by customers. This sense is related to relationship marketing and Seth Godin's idea of permission marketing. David Meerman Scott recommends that marketers "earn their way in" (via publishing helpful information on a blog etc.) in contrast to outbound marketing where they used to have to "buy, beg, or bug their way in" (via paid advertisements, issuing press releases in the hope they get picked up by the trade press, or paying commissioned sales people, respectively). Brian Halligan, cofounder and CEO of HubSpot, claims he coined the usage of the term in this sense.
- Antonym for this usage: Traditional marketing (outbound marketing) is a marketing strategy that focuses on finding customers by building brand awareness through advertising and promotion. In contrast to "permission marketing," a pejorative term for this type of marketing is "interruption marketing."
I've found that HubSpot provides extremely informative Inbound Marketing webinars and ebooks on a variety of Internet Marketing topics. So, if you're interested in learning more about this topic I encourage you to follow them, as I do, on Twitter @hubspot, or like their Facebook Page at: http://www.facebook.com/hubspot.
Now, Chris Stone, talks about What's the Key to Inbound Marketing Success? in his blog, stating: "Patience. That's the secret to inbound marketing success." Yes, I agree, patience is a BIG key to success in Inbound Marketing... Please read his whole blog for more insights.
Then in his blog, Dave Wellman, says that there are "Three Keys to Inbound Marketing Success", and I'll summarize here, please read his whole blog for some great additional information by clicking on the above link:
1. "consistently creating good/relative content that answers questions that your current and future clients are asking"
2. "create multiple offers that provide clients/prospects with information that they cannot easily find anywhere else."
3. "learn how to cultivate your current and new clients into raving fans so that they become active referrers"
Yes, thanks to both of these bloggers for their contributions and adding to our shared knowledge of Inbound Marketing success. Those are good keys to success with Inbound Marketing.
In my Social Media Consulting practice most of my Clients are Small Business owners that don't know the nuances of Inbound Marketing so I understand why they act with impatience, I thought that way myself, until I discovered these 10 Keys to Inbound Marketing success:
1. Must get In front of Existing Demand (Find and Use the Right Keywords)
2. Build Online Relationships- So that Prospects can Know, Like and Trust You
3. Be Social
4. Be Available
5. Be Engaging- Ask Questions
6. Be an Expert = SME (Subject Matter Expert)
7. Be Creditable and Trustworthy
8. Build Social Proof - By Growing Your Networks
9. Be Easy to Do Business With - Take away the Prospect's fear of buying
10. Be Persistence and Patient - Inbound Marketing is like Farming - It Takes Time to Grow
What do you feel are the keys to success with Inbound Marketing?
Please post a comment here on my blog or visit the Questions page on my website.
Dave Westfall, is a Web Business Accelerator, Social Media Consultant, Speaker, Author and Certified Mastermind Business Coach. His areas of expertise include building WordPress and eCommerce Websites, Information Product Launches, Internet Marketing Strategies, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Pay Per Click (PPC) Advertising campaigns and developing proven Social Media Optimization (SMO) and Social Media Outsourcing viral marketing campaigns and strategies that grow your business and turn your Sales Paradigm upside down.
Please visit our website at www.dewpointe.com to find out how you can grow your business with Inbound Marketing.
To your Inbound Marketing success,
Dave Westfall, MBA
Web Business Accelerator
P.S. Please click on this link now to schedule a FREE 30 Minute Inbound Marketing Consultation.